The Church of Santissimo Crocifisso is located in Sipione street, one of the main arterial road of the town, in front of Piazza Crocifisso. Built in the early 1700s, in the ancient village of Rosolini, it represents the first church after the church of St. Jerome inside the Platamone Castle, covering the importance of Cathedral. The original church had a quadrangular smooth facade with bell tower located on the central entablature. On the sides there were two towers, one of which was used as a clock tower. It was the old Mother Church consecrated to the city’ s first “Blessed Sacrament”, then following the discovery of the miraculous “Holy Cross” in the homonymous hermitage, was consecrated to the “Holy Cross” at the Hermitage of the Holy Cross situated near the querry of “Cava Lazzaro”. In 1930 the church was demolished and the present one was built.
The priest Francis Murana and the architect who designed it, had a very important role in the reconstruction of the church. The facade of the new church is in neo-Gothic Liberty style. The only portal consists of a sumptuous faceted arch. Above it, there is the central window topped by another beautiful flower arch of semicircular shape. On the sides of the facade there are two beautiful bell towers: the left one serves as bell tower, while in the other there is placed a mechanical clock. The interior of the church has three aisles separated by big columns in gothic style supporting the vault formed by a set of domes with the form of roses, chained together. The interior is entirely shaped in yellow limestone ashlar. The high altar is dominated by the Holy Cross, a fifteenth century effigy depicting Christ crowned with thorns, kept in a gilded shrine. Inside the church, you can admire the miraculous “Holy Cross”, found in the hermitage of Croce Santa in 1533.
On May 3rd in 1728 it was translated in the church of SS. Crucifix, and a sculpture of Biagio Poidomani depicting “The Deposition of Christ.”