In Piazza Teatro is located the Church of Santa Venera, a religious building in eighteenth-century style with three naves at Latin cross. The dome, which collapsed in the earthquake of 1848, was rebuilt in 1962 by eng. Peter Lojacono. The façade, with superimposed orders, has at its center the image of St. Venera, the patron saint of Avola. The iconographic work located in the apse depicts the Martyrdom of St. Venera (sec. XVIII) and it was attributed to Constantino Carasi. On the left side there is the chapel dedicated to the patron saint with floral frescoes of the eighteenth century and a neoclassical altar which houses the wooden statue of the patron saint, coated with silver and gold, a work of the artists Raffaele Abbate and Emanuele Puglisi Caudullo (sec. XIX) from Catania. Moreover, there are two important iconographic works whose artists are unknown, coming from the ancient site: the painting of the Saints Crispin and Crispian with the Immaculate, and the painting of St. Martha, already belonging to the church of St. Marta, located outside the city walls. The wooden statue of St. Joseph with Jesus, a work of artists from Catania, built in 1714, has a great artistic and religious value.