The architect of S. Chiara’s Church was Rosario Gagliardi (1688- 1762). Originally, the main entrance was a grand portal, facing the main road, with four grooved pilaster strips at the side. The portal is surmounted by an arched gable and heavily decorated window. After decreasing the level of the road, a side- entrance became a necessary.
Externally, one may see, on the window which is situated on the northern side of the church, some baroque decorations which do not seem to be quite in harmony with the bass-reliefs of the tower. The decorated pillars, situated above the parastades at the corners of the window, the small head at the centre, the wreathes which decorate it, and the engravings, are all very slender and very slightly dynamic. The church, with an oval shaped plan, and originally decorated with pink tiling, has a twelve- pillared columnade, above which one may see statues of saints.