The Naselli Teatre is a theatre surely existed in Comiso between the late ‘700 and early ‘800 although its construction is commonly dated to 1841. It had surely boxes and it had the typical circular structure. The superintendent of Syracuse talked about it in a letter concerning restoration works , dated to 25th June, 1826. The restoration works were carried out between 1836 and 1839. In April 1841, the architect Mario Battaglia complained about the very poor conditions of the theater. The works ended the following year. The documents, preserved in the town historical archives of Comiso, show the popularity and appreciation of the population to this type of entertainment. Until 1856, just slight improvements were made. At the end it was decided to improve the façade, the engineer Sortino worked at it. It is the current façade which consists of a Doric-Sicilian portico. Columns and pediments are made of white stones from Comiso. The work was contracted in April 1858 and completed the following year. The theater had 108 seats in the stalls area , 10 boxes in the first row , 11 boxes in the second row, as well as a gallery in the third row. The best acting companies of that time, one after the other performed frequently the works of prose, lyric works and operettas. Immediately after the World War I the slow and relentless decline started. Finally, it was forsaken while the atavic desire of theater of the citizes of Comiso was satisfied by the new “Cineteatro Vona” during the thirty years, however it was closed permanently in 2005. The historic Municipal Theatre even became a garbage deposit, then a heap of ruins. At the end of the seventy years of the last century, it was rebuilt according to the project of the architect Enzo Gianna, just the façade is original. It was reopened to the community in the early eighty years, it was closed because of the missing safety requirements. At the very end of the ‘900 a deep renovation work of the theatre was carried out, the theatre was dedicated to ” Naselli” in honour of the family who in the ‘500 raised Comiso from Barony to County exerting on the city one of the smartest dominion in Europe, the theatre was reopened – or better, inaugurated – on November 25th, 2000. Arnoldo Foà , one of the most famous actors , was the first to get on the stage after seventy years. Then many other protagonists of the Italian theater, too many actors to be mentioned, revived the tradition of the theatre of Comiso. The Naselli Theatre is small with 264 seats, but very nice. The architect Salvatore Catalano and the engineer Salvino Palumbo designed and directed the works of renovation. a constant theatrical activity started from the 25th November, 2000 the plays have a very good quality as the program of prose and music. A cura di Fabio Urso dei lavori relativa alla realizzazione del foyer del teatro.
A cura di Antonello Lauretta
Fonti storiche biblioteca comunale “Fulvio Stanganelli”