Fano Tower is a watchtower located at the top of the promontory of Pachino. In the past it was called Torre di Capo Passero. Originally 10 metres high, it already existed in the 1500’s, when the barbarian raids on the coasts of Sicily had become more frequent and brutal than in the past. King Martin the Younger, belonging to the Aragonese dynasty, decided to erect the tower, in this strategic place for both its geographical location and the flourishing economic activities taking place in the hinterland and in front of the sea. The city of Noto provided for the maintenance of the tower and charged a guardian to live there to match the signals of fire and smoke (called “fani”) with the other towers of the coast. Today the tower is an abandoned ruin and what remains is just a portion of its basement.